Is your pantry full of open, half empty packets? Are you greeted by clutter when you open the pantry door? Do you even know what’s hiding in the back corners of your pantry?
If you answered yes to any of the above, it’s time for a pantry renovation.
WHY YOU SHOULD CLEAN OUT YOUR PANTRY?
A well-organised pantry will:
- Save on food and packaging waste
- Make your kitchen more functional and efficient
- Make shopping easier
- Help you get more creative and feel more inspired in the kitchen
- Make it easier to eat healthy wholesome foods
Yep, getting your pantry in order is a kitchen game-changer. Admittedly, it’s one of those projects that takes a bit of time and effort, but the end results are worth it.
STEP-BY-STEP PANTRY RENO GUIDE
- Start from scratch. Take everything out. Yes, everything. Get rid of anything that’s out of date and clean the shelves.
- Sort out what you have. Start with basic groups like baking. breakfast, grains and snacks.
- Stock up on containers and jars. Almost everything in your pantry is better off out of its packet and in a clear container, bottle or jar. It will stay fresher (which means less food waste), you’ll know what you have, and you won’t have packets creating a mess and extra rubbish. Have a good look at what’s in your pantry and work out what size, shape and how many jars and containers you need. Glass is a good choice as it easier to see what’s inside, it’s eco-friendly, durable, looks good and it’s a non-toxic storage option.
- Consider other storage: Baskets can be useful for keeping small items together, such as all jars of spices, different nuts, or your smoothie add-ins.
- Put everything into containers and jars and label them. Get yourself a roll of stickers and label every container with its contents and used by date. It sounds a little tedious, but it’s worth it. Chalkboard stickers are great because you can change the label as you need to.
- Categories and designate. Group items like breakfasts, grains, crackers and snacks, oils and condiments and allocate them a place in the pantry. Put items you use the most at the front so they are easily accessed.
- Make it easy and efficient. Hang a measuring cup on big jars to scoop things out or leave a scoop inside,
- Maintain it: Keep a small blackboard or pad and paper on the inside of the pantry door to write down items that need to be restocked as you notice them. You can also use this list to find recipes that will help you use up what’s left.
- Enjoy the benefits: Once you have a good system in order, you’ll find it easier to find things you need, you’ll feel more inspired in the kitchen and you’ll be wasting less food. You can bring your empty jars, bottles and containers directly into The Source Bulk Foods stores, have them weighed and buy just what you need to fill them, so there’s no waste and no excess packaging – everyone wins!
EXTRA TIPS FOR SMALL PANTRIES
If you are in an apartment or have an extra small pantry, these tips will help maximise your space:
- Install a tiered shelf. This allows you to easily access the back of the cupboard and maximise space.
- Add extra shelves you can take with you when you move. Look for industrial steel shelves that can go along a wall or consider using the linen cupboard for bulky, limited use items.
- Use a Lazy Susan in the corner of the cupboard.
- Look for the most stackable containers.
STOCKING YOUR PANTRY
It sounds like a no-brainer, but stocking your pantry with healthy, wholesome ingredients means you’ll be eating more healthy wholesome foods. Having ingredients on hand when you need them means you will be more likely to feel inspired and motivated in the kitchen, you’ll save time, and you’ll actually enjoy cooking and preparing meals.
Here are some pantry staples you can stock up on to get you started:
Organic Olive Oil
- Peanut butter
WIN A PANTRY RENO STARTER KIT!
Would you like to win a pantry reno starter kit valued at more than $500?
Spend $30 or more in store during August* and you’ll be in the running to win a pantry reno kit that includes:
- $300 The Source Voucher
- $200 Howards Storage World voucher
- Academy spice rack $45
- 5 x The Source 2L Jars
- The Source Jute Bag
Read the full terms and conditions here.